Acne, also known as acne vulgaris, is the most common skin condition that affects most of us at some point. Approximately 80% of people between the ages of 11 to 30 years worldwide suffer from acne. Left untreated, acne can cause significant scarring and spots. Also, acne has negative effect on self-esteem and confidence, may lead to depression and anxiety.
What is acne?
Each hair on the human body grows upward through the skin and exits through a tiny opening called a follicle, or pore. The follicles also secrete sebum, an oil that acts as the skin’s natural “moisturizer.” Sebum is created by tiny glands within the skin that empty directly into the follicles. Acne occurs when our pores become clogged with dead skin cells, sebum and bacteria. People may experience acne if many different forms, including blackheads (open plugged pores), white heads (closed plugged pores), pimples, pustules and cysts. Acne usually affect the face but may affect the neck, back, shoulders, chest and arms.
The most common factors that cause acne:
- Hormones. Acne is common in teenagers and pregnant women because of the imbalance of hormones present in their bodies.
- Environment. Polluted air can cause a bad effect on the skin.
- Genetics. People with a family history of acne are more prone to breakouts.
- And some other factors, such as using oily cosmetic products, eating unhealthy foods, stress, infections and some medications may cause acne to be more severe.
Skin care tips for acne
1. Do not wash more than normal. Max wash should be twice a day and not to be obsessed about washing your face. (very hot or too cold water may worsen acne)
Do not use powerful soaps. Excessive washing make acne worse. In order to reduce acne-causing bacteria use cleansers with Salicylic Acid.
Clarifying Cleanser from Smooth Aesthetics contains deep cleaning 2% Salicylic Acid formula.
- 2% Salicylic Acid penetrates deep into pores to decrease sebum production and fight acne-causing bacteria
- Provides exfoliation of dead skin cells keeping the pores clear of cellular debris to reduce the number of breakouts
- Contains 15 nourishing botanical extracts and essential oils to moisturize and improve complexion resulting in a healthy glow, leaving the skin smooth and soft
2. Exfoliate your skin only if you don`t have active acne. Scrubbing your skin can irritate your skin, causing acne to flare.
3. Use acne control products that contain Benzoyl Peroxide. It decreases inflammation, reduce sebum production, fights acne-causing bacteria and prevents future breakouts.
Acne Control Serum from Smooth Aesthetics contains micronized Benzoyl Peroxide and Glycolic Acid.
- Fights acne-causing bacteria on the spot and prevents future breakouts
- Clinically proven to decrease sebum production by up to 70%
- Exfoliates gently to increase cellular turnover, leaving skin refined and retextured
- Great spot treatment to quickly and effectively heal active blemishes
4. Use only makeup, sunscreen, skin and hair care products that are labeled “non-comedogenic” or “won’t clog pores.” These products don’t cause breakouts in most people.
OXYGENETIX Foundation solves a wide range of skin problems, and can be applied immediately and directly to compromised skin to provide even color and coverage while supporting the healing process.
- Conceals and camouflages skin imperfections while boosting healing
- Perfect coverage for rosacea, redness, acne, psoriasis, eczema, vitiligo and other blemishes
- Vitamin E promotes healing of the skin
- Aloe Vera calms and soothes skin while supporting healing
- A breathable mesh network gently bonds to skin and promotes oxygen uptake
- Doesn’t smudge due to sweat or humidity
- Water and transfer resistant (swim up to 90 minutes)
- SPF 25 UVA/UVB protection
- Stays on all day – no need to reapply
- Non-irritating and non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic
5. Try not to touch your face with your hands or other objects such as phones.
6. Protect yourself from sun exposure and avoid tanning beds.
Clear Defense SPF 45 from Smooth Aesthetics provides the highest possible level of protection while restoring youthfulness to the skin.
- Highest possible level of protection
- Fast-absorbing SPF features a high level of Niacinamide which reduces redness and blotchiness of the skin
- Increases firmness and elasticity
- Lightweight, oil-free and leaves no residue
- Prevents UVA, UVB and Infrared Radiation damage to the skin through an innovative botanical, Knotweed Extract
7. Don`t Pop or squeeze breakouts. When you pop or squeeze acne, you’re likely to push some of what’s inside (e.g., pus, dead skin cells, or bacteria) deeper into your skin. When this happens, you increase inflammation. This can lead to more-noticeable acne and sometimes scarring and pain.
What to do instead: Resist the temptation to pop or squeeze acne. If you have deep or painful acne, seeing a specialist is necessary to help clear your acne.
Smooth Aesthetics offers a variety of Facial Treatments that will reduce acne breakouts
Some of the treatments we utilized to reduce and control acne breakouts:
To see how we can assist you in your pursuit of clear skin, just to stop by and have a complementary skin consultation.
Please don’t be shy. Call me at 781-620-0236 for your complimentary skincare consultation at Smooth Aesthetics.